Welcome to the Best Practice in General Surgery (BPIGS) Website
The BPIGS group was developed in 2006 with the aim of standardizing general surgical procedures across the University of Toronto affiliated hospitals. We have developed six clinical practice guidelines and are currently developing a few more.
On this site you will find our most recent guidelines and guideline summaries, as well as important updates and information from the BPIGS group.
Our ERAS Guidelines have been endorsed by CAGS and CSCRS!
The Canadian Association of General Surgeon (CAGS) and the Canadian Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (CSCRS) support the ERAS Guidelines and promote their implementation as a best practice for surgical care.
BPIGS App is LIVE!
For quick and easy access to our guideline recommendations, download our app or click here to download the BPIGS app (for Apple only).
Quicklinks to Guideline Summaries
- Guideline 1: Surgical Site Infection
- Guideline 2: Mechanical Bowel Preparation
- Guideline 3: Thromboprophlaxis
- Guideline 4: Intra-Abdominal Infection
- Guideline 5: Enhanced Recovery after Surgery
- Guideline 6: Perioperative Pain Management